Food is a gift from God. Most times, when the scripture talks about food, it is not always about physical food, there is a place for spiritual food, which is very important for healthy living. Every food we eat, be it fruits, meat, vegetables, or even grains is provided by God.
In this article, we will examine what the Bible says about food as it pertains to a believer.
Bible verses about food and health
- Then God said, behold, I have to give you every herb bearing seed, which is upon on the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you, it shall be for meat. – Genesis 1:29
- Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. – Genesis 9:3
- Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength. Nehemiah 8:10
- Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labor for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness. – Isaiah 55:2
- And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labor, it is the gift of God. – Ecclesiastes 3:13
- Labor not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed. – John 6:27
What does God say about eating healthy?
According to 1 Corinthians 10:31, the scripture says, “so whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God.
When you bring God into your healthy eating, He changes everything. Striving to please God in your choice of food will not only bring you a heart change but a good life.
“But He answered and said, it is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4).
As a believer, you should have time to eat the food of the Spirit because that is what makes you grow. When you have the food of the spirit, you have all other things, you will experience physical growth, Spiritual growth, academic excellence, and the like.
What is the spiritual significance of food?
Food is a symbol of the relationship between man and God. This was made clear in the book of Genesis 1:29. And just as our physical food must be something of a life for it to nourish us, spiritually what we eat, or take in, must be something of life and that gives life. The Word of God is of life and gives life.
How to stop gluttony
Gluttony is having a craving for food that conquers you.
- Understand the Spiritual Significance of Food
The first step to take to stop gluttony is to understand the spiritual significance of food. Which is your relationship with God. There is no way you will have a smooth relationship with God and be starving your spirit.
Try making out days to fast and seek the face of the Lord. And in doing that you need great determination because you love your stomach but it shouldn’t be as much as you love your life. Because even the Bible talks about it in Mattew 4:4 that man shall not leave by bread alone but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
The Bible text that explains this better is 1 corinthians 6:12, where Paul says_ all things are lawful for me but I will not be brought under the power of any. In this context, you should also determine not to be a slave to food, deny yourself sometimes and experience great change.
Does God care about your health?
The answer to the above question is yes. God cares about your health because there is an assignment he expects you to carry out on earth. There is a potential deposited in you that he needs you to explore. And to fulfill that assignment you need food. Because food makes you healthy and lightens your mood, giving you mental stability. That’s for the physical food.
Just as physical food is important the same way spiritual food is relevant. It helps her nurture your spirit and helps you to fulfill your divine purpose. The Bible is the spiritual food.
Read: Going through stress? How to cope as a child of God?
The Bible has a lot of answers to your heart-bothering questions. All the information you need, to stay healthy physically and spiritually is embedded in the scriptures. Find time to read and you will never walk through life blindly.