Table of Contents Hide
“It was a majestic walk along the pavement of my backyard, when I was unexpectedly caught up in the web of him who had been seeking for my dear soul. I remember being inquisitive, as I stood glued unto the scene before me. I beckoned on my servant-companions with unguarded exuberance for a centurion show. “Oh! This is interesting” One of them said. “How would it taste like? I asked one of my companions, stroking my beard, amused at my thought. One among them who understood my gesture acted speedily bringing the innocent dramatist to our table. It was going to be a moment of pleasure, nor strings attached. That was the rule. We always stick to the rule.
A tiny voice whispered, even as the lady bowed before me, erotic I must confess.
“You are a child of God, how did you end up here? Have you forgotten the exploits that was by your hands wrought? Did you forget the grace of God?” I scoffed at the voice. That day, I ended up incurring on my life and entire family divine displeasure. But what was the problem, really? What if she was not there to make the scene that day? What could I have done differently? I really can’t say. But, I knew where I had it all wrong; I could have taken a little time to expose my thoughts in the light of God’s word.
His word said “Flee”
The above portrays the life of King David, we are all familiar with the story, aren’t we?. It was like any other day, but this was a bit different, he ought to be at the battle field for the Lord, but was found loitering around his yard; his loiter landed him in reproachful experience with the wife of His servant. David fell into Sexual Temptation. It was a damning experience he never forgot. (2 Samuel 11:3).
Sexual Temptation is REAL. Let’s call a spade, a spade. That you are a Christian, firing and all ablaze DOESN’T mean you can’t be tempted with this. Ask JOSEPH in Portiphar house.
What Is Sexual Temptation?
Like someone rightly said, “There are many types of temptations. Chief among them is pride, money and sex.”
Sexual Temptation is an enticement, persuasion or seduction to committing sexual immorality. This means that sexual temptation can lead to the sin of sexual immorality. Temptation, in itself is not a sin though, but yielding to it leads to damnable sin, which further incurs on its victim God’s displeasure and judgement.
There many temptations that confront us daily as believers such as the temptation to lie, may be to avoid being put to shame, temptation to be proud, rude, disobedient, or get angry, etc. All these temptations occur at different times according to our levels, personal peculiarities, environments and positions among others.
One of the greatest temptations that confront everyone- from the presidents down to the preachers is sexual temptation, thus the need for us to arm ourselves with God’s provision against this, so we can be able to stand spotless before God on the last day.
In Matthew 6: 13 The Lord Jesus Christ taught us to pray thus,
“And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil…” This shows that believers will pass through one temptation or the other, one of which is sexual temptation.”
How Real Is Sexual Temptation?
To have sex is not a sinful thing, we do know this. For legally married couples to enjoy the pleasure of their union, there is need for copulation(sex), and this can never be against God’s will and His Word. But there are sexual acts that are prohibited by God and by law, such as;
- Bestiality i.e. sex between humans and animals (Lev. 18:23)
- Incest- the sin of having sexual intercourse with a parent, child, sibling, or grandchild, or between people in consanguinity (blood relations), and sometimes those related by affinity (marriage or step family), adoption, clan, or lineage.
- Masturbation etc.
All the above listed sexual acts and other related acts, are sinful before God. Not just the real acts but whatever is done as an act to satisfy the urge for sex, such as having or attempting to have sexual intercourse or sexual contacts with another individual without consent i.e. rape. This also includes sexual contacts such as kissing, and touching any part of the body in a sexual manner. Read this: Is kissing allowed in a Christian relationship?
Causes of Sexual Temptation
- Undue Closeness to the opposite gender, in words, dealings and body contacts such as hugging, kissing, holding of hands, sit-lapping and sleeping together on the same bed etc. All these will lead to sexual temptation once the parties in question are not legally joined husband and wife.
- Watching of nude pictures, pornography, movies with ungodly characters with loose dressings and actions with the opposite sex
- Meditating on sex-related affairs rather meditating on God’s word
- Worldliness and undefined relationship with the opposite gender
Biblical Stand On Sexual Temptation
In Matt 5:28, the Lord Jesus revealed to us all,
“But don’t think you’ve preserved your virtue simply by staying out of bed. Your heart can be corrupted by lust even quicker than your body. Those leering looks you think nobody notices — they also corrupt.” (THE MSG)
“But I say to you that everyone who so much as looks at a woman with evil desire for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” (AMP)
From the foregoing, it’s clear that it is corrupting to yield to sexual temptations, even if it is just to gratify such desire or temptation by lusting in one’s heart towards whosoever or whatsoever one is tempted with.
The scripture further reveals the end of all who give themselves to fornication either in thought or in action.
In 1 Cor 10:8, the Bible says
“We should not commit sexual immorality, as some of them did and in one day twenty-three thousand of them died.” (NIV)
We could see the punishment that was meted on the Children of Israel when they allowed themselves to fall into sexual temptation. Little wonder why King Solomon said in his written words, as inspired by the Holy Spirit.
Prov. 6:32 “…whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.” (KJV)
From Genesis to Revelation, God frowns at yielding to any compromise of any kind. See Rev 21:8
“But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (NKJV).
So dear reader, God frowns at sexual immorality and there is a sure and certain judgement to face by every defaulter of grace.
Steps To Overcome Sexual Temptation And Become Free
To know about the danger that is imminent in doing something is good. For to be informed is to be fore-armed. But knowing what to do in order to be freed from such danger, or at best what is needed to overcome such temptation, when it comes matters a lot.
The Following Biblical instructions and counsels are indispensable if anyone will live as an overcomer over any temptation and sexual temptation in particular:
- Repent and seek God’s forgiveness for living in the sin of sexual immorality. (Proverbs 28:13)
- Surrender your heart and entire life to God, and believe in the Lord Jesus. You must know that Sexual immorality, which comes through sexual temptation is a work of the flesh, and none who lives in the flesh can ever be able to overcome sin, for he or she is a slave of sin. (John 8:34). Galatians 5:19a says “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,” (KJV). Only a person who has surrendered his or her life to God, can have power to say no to sin, for sin shall thenceforth have no dominion over him or her. (Romans 6:14)
- Give yourself to regular prayers and communion with God. When a Christian neglects the weapon of prayer, so many temptations will overwhelm his or her heart. Jesus Christ our Lord instructs us thus “Pray that ye enter not into temptation” (Luke 22:40)
- Have faith in God that he is able to make you pure and free from sexual temptation. There are temptations that are without a tempter. They are self-excited temptations, for they are connected to a man’s desire for something. Pride and lust are examples of these temptations. So many are dying daily spiritually, because of masturbation. Repression and pretense delivers no man. But faith in word of God does makes free. Claim God’s promises for your life. The Bible says our body as believers are the temple/dwelling place of the Lord God Almighty. So, every thought or spirit of immorality must be banished. (1 Cor. 6:13)
- Have regular intake and meditation on the word of God. (Psalm 119:11: Job 31:1). Let the words of Christ dwell in you richly.
How To Stop Having Sexual Thoughts.
- Abstinence; meaning stay away from objects of temptation. No matter how holy God makes a man, if he keeps going to the place of temptation, and sets objects of temptation before his eyes, he will soon fall into the temptation and sins.
- Guard your heart with all diligence. So many people don’t have control over their heart not to talk of their lives. (Proverbs 4:23). Be a watchman over yourself. Arrest any evil thought arising in your heart. Don’t entertain it.
- Live by this rule that whatever that you will give your heart to, shall be things that are: true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praise worthy. If those thoughts of yours pass through all these (not just one or two) litmus tests, then go ahead and entertain it in your heart.
For As he thinks in his or her heart so he or she is and shall continually be, until a change comes that transforms the man from inside out.
Can God Redeem Anyone Who Has Fallen Into This Trap?
Doubtful of if God will ever forgive you? The one who alone can save all souls, says He delights not to see any perish or live a defeated life. All He says is that, you should make up your mind to change your thoughts and come to him in humble and penitence heart. For He, our God is mighty to save and to deliver. (2 Chronicles 7:14, Isaiah 57:15; Jer. 33:8)
“Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there anything too hard or me” (Jeremiah 32:27. KJV)